Roasted Tomato Soup, Louisiana style
- 1.5 kgs Roma or plum tomatoes, cut in half
- 2 Tsp Tweed Real Food Louisiana BBQ Rub
- 4 Tbsp olive oil
- ½ Tbsp olive oil
- 2 brown onions, thinly sliced
- ½ cup packed basil leaves
- 1-2 cups water or vegetarian broth, depending on how thick you want the soup
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup sour cream or full cream
Preheat oven to 200 degrees.
Line a large baking tray with baking paper.
Place halved tomatoes on the baking sheet.
Sprinkle with 3 Tbsp of olive oil and Louisiana BBQ Rub.
Roast in the oven for 40-45 minutes.
While the tomatoes are roasting make the caramelized onions:
In a medium pot over medium heat add 1/2 Tbsp olive oil.
Add onion slices & stir to coat with olive oil.
Cook, stirring occasionally.
Check onions every 5-10 minutes until they have completely caramelized, turning golden in colour. This usually takes 20 minutes.
Once tomatoes have roasted, allow them to cool.
Add half of the basil, caramelised onions and tomatoes to blender or food processor and blend until desired consistency.
If preferring a more liquid consistency add desired broth and blend.
Heat again, serve, add cracked black pepper if desired and sprinkle with remaining basil leaves and a generous dollop of sour cream.
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.